How to make a pond safe for children?
No wonder water bodies are considered the main decoration of any landscape. They give the opportunity to enjoy communicating with nature, relax under the peaceful murmur of water, feel the charm of being on your own site. But no matter how beautiful such a variety of ponds may be, when arranging them, it is important not to forget about safety standards. Especially if children often visit the site or your neighbors. After all, water beckons to itself, and in the summer it is difficult to resist its temptations. And even a little negligence can lead to big trouble. Responsibility for the safety of the pond always rests with its owners.
- Minimal pond protection on site
- Fundamental pond protection measures for child safety
Minimal pond protection on site
For kids, both deep and shallow reservoirs pose the same danger. Even neat decorative ponds with insufficient attention can become a source of great misfortune. And whether water bodies are safe for children on the site is worth considering, even if the kids in your own garden are not frequent guests.
Neighboring children are so fond of exploring the world, and for them often there are no boundaries in games and fun. Making sure that garden ponds are safe for the child is not so difficult. Minimal and cost-effective measures will help you protect yourself from any risks.
Solving the problem of pond safety for neighboring children is very simple: make sure that the fences and hedges at the borders of your site are adequately protected. Do not forget to close doors and gates, do not leave passages free: during the game, even children under supervision can accidentally end up in your garden. Therefore, if kids are often visiting the areas adjacent to you, take more time to observe safety and protect yourself from unexpected guests.
Fundamental pond protection measures for child safety
If the kids are often at your site, then you will have to resort to more drastic measures. And there are many options for how to protect the pond:
- Pulling a metal or special protective mesh under water close to the surface, which will play the role of a protective barrier. It can be ordered specifically for your body of water. Optimally, the protection functions are performed by a special galvanized wire mesh with a mesh size of about 5 cm.
- Installation around the pond of a temporary net or other fence that will limit access to the water body. You can arrange “nests” around the pool, into which it will be easy to insert the supporting columns of the mesh tape or fence as needed. The height of the fence around the reservoir for the effective implementation of the role of the barrier should be at least 80 cm. But the size of the cells should be as small as possible. Particular attention should be paid to the gate, and more precisely, to reliable constipation, which the child cannot afford to open.
- If there is free space, you can surround the pond with a swampy, or wet flower bed, which will serve as a natural barrier.
If you have a large family, then do not forget about the safety of children already at the stage of arrangement: flat shores and wide zones of coastal and coastal vegetation make the pond safer than the minimum plantings on sloping and slippery shores.
Each gardener in the matter of ensuring the safety of ponds for children should remember that the equipment of water bodies in accordance with all safety standards and rules is a direct responsibility of their owners. After all, the owner of the pond also bears responsibility for damage to the health of those around him. And sometimes simple precautions, even if they seem redundant and completely unnecessary, will protect the well-being of you and those around you. They should be paid attention and remember, even if they are not obvious.